The aim of this project was to create an artwork for submission to the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organisation for consideration to be selected as a commemorative stamp for the United Nations 2013 International Year of Quinoa (www.fao.org/quinoa-2013/en/)
- To recognise the Andean indigenous people - their traditional knowledge and practices of living well in harmony with mother earth and nature.
- Bring world attention to the role that quinoa's biodiversity and nutritional values plays in providing food security and nutrition and potential in the eradication of poverty.
- Exceptional nutritional qualities of quinoa.
- Adaptability to different agro-ecological floors while preserving the fertility of the land.
- Potential contribution in the fight against hunger and malnutrition.
- Natural food source.
- Create an image that illustrates quinoa as a superfood and able to contribute in the fight against hunger and malnutrition.
- Use colours of the grain and pastels to create an organic look.
- Reference to superhero comics such as Popeye and Superman.
Selected by the United Nations Association of Australia (South Australian branch) to be 1 of the 9 Commemorative Stamps.
Illustration for the United Nations 2013 International Year of Quinoa
The United Nations Food & Agricultural Organisation